Mindfulness, wholehearted living and living in the now is a life long journey and practice. Some days we are more present than others. If we still our minds and lower down the volume on our mental gymnastics consisting of leaps and cartwheels from the past to the future then we can create space to invite our hearts to be with us in the present moment. Attempts to shift to present moment and wholehearted living requires us to invest self-compassion credits. On days when it is difficult to use the breath to guide us to stillness, being gentle with ourselves and trusting that we have a new opportunity with each inhale and exhale to start again.
5 little things we can do to explore present moment living.
- Delete social media apps from our phones for one week out of every month.
- Go somewhere you’re excited about and be present. Notice the urge to take a selfie and share rise within you. Take a deep breath notice the colour, texture, energy and sounds within your environment and return to enjoying your moment undocumented.
- Enjoy a conversation without scrolling or texting someone else 3 times a day.
- Spend a maximum of 10 minutes in the mirror for one day.
- Choose one meal a day and be present with every bite. Fight the urge to take a picture and share. Feel the excitement of your tastes buds and senses responding to every delightful spoonful of your favourite meal.
Try it and see how you feel.