The workday could feel really long. Especially if you have skipped lunch or didn’t take a break because you were in the flow. The week could feel even longer when it’s only Tuesday and you’re asking your colleagues if it’s Thursday. I think we all know what that feels like. I’ve listed seven affordable and short activities you can do at work that will give you a little break during the day and switch up the gears that may need to be changed.
- Go for a walk outside. If it’s cold do a lap in the office or climb the stairs.
- Keep a vase on your desk. Nothing fancy, just a Dollar Store vase. Purchase flowers and leave them on your desk until you need to change things up. Take 5 to 10 minutes and make a flower arrangement at your desk.
- Listen to an upbeat party song that always gets you moving. Suggestion, put your headphone on and take a 3 to 5 minute dance break. This might take a little bit of courage if you don’t have your own office a closed off cubicle. Dancing in your chair will do. If you boss is cool perhaps they may encourage you to take the headphones off and ask everyone to stand up and participate in the party. Your selling feature to your boss is that the average song is only about 3 to 5 minutes. Everyone will be pumped up and more productive. If you’re the boss well then include it in the workday for all.
- Doodle! You are never to old to doodle and you don’t have to have an artistic bone in your body. There are several books on Zen Doodling. All you need is a blank piece of paper. If you want to be green, use the other side of paper that you plan to shred for the day. Check out Heather’s blog or post a question for her about doodling. She is a doodle master.
- Make a list of five things that you are grateful for and post it on your desk. Or make a virtual sticky note on your computer. This is a perfect activity when you get the mid week blues.
- Google writing prompts. Complete the first one that you lay your eyes on. Set a timer for five minutes and write. If you love writing you might want to keep writing. If you want to keep writing set the timer tomorrow for another five minutes and continue the story.
- Keep an inspirational book on your desk. Open it to a random page and take a few minutes to read the page. Does it relate to your day?
These are just seven inexpensive activities you can do while at work. Bring a little joy and creativity to your day and have fun.
Veneration in daily life: Try one activity a day. Or try the same activity for one week? What do you currently do to break up your day? Make a list of things you would like to do.